AGILeBiotics is developing novel next-generation aminoglycoside antibiotics for the treatment of lung infections caused by multi-drug resistant (MDR) non-tuberculosis Mycobactrium and Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections.
In August 2019, Maranmicin (ABX-605) has been selected for pre-clinical development, i.e. CMC and GLP-toxicity studies. The pre-clinical candidate is a semi-synthetic aminoglycoside with the following features:
(1) It tackles class-related antibacterial resistance mediated by aminoglycoside modifying enzymes.
(2) Maranmicin is the only antibiotic candidate with activity against NTM strains of M. abscessus and with exceptionally high activity against M. avium.
(3) Maranmicin shows exceptional in vitro activity against Gram-negative clinical isolates of XDR/MDR Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Acinetobacter baumannii, carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae strains.
(4) The candidate has exceptional in vitro activity against Gram-positive clinical isolates of multidrug-resistant MRSA and VRE strains.
(5) With increased in vivo efficacy (demonstrated in two models) compared to other aminoglycosides and reduced toxicity Maranmicin has the potential to become a low-dose antibiotic with increased therapeutic index.
(6) Maranmicin has a significantly reduced propensity for resistance development compared to other semi-synthetic aminoglycosides, such as Amikacin.